Plan the Perfect Summer Staycation
“Being on vacation is 90% attitude” -Dennison Berwick, Staycation: How to Get away Without Going Away
Going on an actual vacation is hard- or impossible- for many of us these days. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make the best out of the situation by planning your very own staycation.
Setting the stage for the perfect staycation begins with your mindset. That means, making a conscious decision to unplug from everyday life and be in the moment, even if you’re in your own home. You can put yourself in the vacation state of mind by following these simple tips.
- Set a start and end date- Just like any other vacation, your staycation should have a scheduled start and end time. Make sure you get any non-vacation items done before the vacation officially starts.
- Have a kick-off ceremony- Maybe it’s a toast in the backyard, or the first meal during your holiday, but you can make the staycation official by commemorating the start.
- Set a budget- Plan for your staycation by setting a budget for the week or weekend. That way, you’ll be able to spend without feeling guilty or worrying about overspending.
- Take lots of photos- You’ll want to document the memories being made on your staycation.
Honestly, the idea of a staycation sounds pretty great. You can enjoy all the fun and relaxation of an out-of-town trip, without the packing or travel time, waiting in lines or getting lost in strange cities. Plus, you can use the all the money in your vacation budget for experiences and activities, rather than travel costs. Here are a few of my favorite ideas to get you started with planning your perfect staycation:
- Plan a Spa Day- Whether you do this at your own home, or go to a local spa, a trip to the spa is a great way to unwind and make the most of your staycation time. Book a mani/pedi, massage or facial, or make it a full day and do it all!
- Go on a hike- Check out the local parks or hiking trails in your area. This is the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors and get in a little exercise too!
- Plan a picnic- Whether it’s at the beach, a park, in your backyard or on the living room floor, picnics are a fun and different way to enjoy a meal with your loved ones. Make it as simple or as fancy as you’d like!
- Camp with the kids- Pitch a tent and start up a fire in the backyard- or turn a campfire on the TV in your living room. Tell ghost stories, roast hotdogs, and eat some s’mores!
- Be a local tourist- A staycation is the perfect opportunity to visit all the tourist locations that locals don’t normally do.
- Dine outdoors- If you’re able to, make reservations at a fancy restaurant then stop for ice cream on the way home. Or, have upscale takeout delivered right to your door. Light some candles, put on some romantic music and enjoy a date night in!
- Go on a shopping spree- Because you’re saving money on hotels and transportation, use that extra money to treat yourself to something nice that you wouldn’t normally buy yourself.
There are so many ways you make memories in your own backyard. Whatever you have planned for this summer, hope you have a great one. Stay hydrated and wear sunscreen!
< Go Back